In a world experiencing an epidemic of chronic pain and increasing evidence of the failure of synthetic drugs; simple but extremely powerful educational tools can effectively target the natural pain treatment systems within us all.
Knowledge is power. In the new series of Explain Pain courses delivered by Dr David Butler and NOI teams around the world, cutting edge pain sciences are made accessible and understandable for all. The sciences are turned into metaphor and descriptive narratives, all on a framework of conceptual change science and the philosophy of emergence. Explaining pain is a two way process – the pain patterns, metaphors and stories from the patient’s viewpoint need reasoned analysis and are critical to meeting sufferers at their story.
We know more about pain in the last ten years than in the thousand years before and it’s all increasingly providing answers to “why do I hurt the way I do” and “what can I do about it”. The knowledge is applicable to the young and the old, from back pain to hemiplegia, general aching to the complexities of phantom pain and complex regional pain syndrome.
Decades of research and clinical experience have now been synthesised in the next step of the Explain Pain revolution – The Protectometer. A new device found in the most recently published book from Moseley and Butler, The Protectometer allows a person and their clinician to map out their pain experience, understand all the many factors that affect it, and develop a tailored therapeutic education and treatment programme.
This therapy works – there are no side effects, it is available around the clock, it continues to improve and you can share it with others. These are exciting days for neuroscience, but it must be made exciting for sufferers as well.
Don’t miss this unique opportunity. NOI Explain Pain courses are fun, intellectually stimulating, based on evidence, always challenging, and with the introduction of the Protectometer, you will come away with the most impressive therapeutic tool set ever.
The NOI Explain Pain course is based on David Butler and Lorimer Moseley's book Explain Pain Second Edition
and The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer.
- To expand the clinical framework of rehabilitation via the paradigms of neuromatrix and pain mechanisms.
- To teach biologically based pain management skills under a framework of the sciences of clinical reasoning and evidence from clinical trials, neurobiology and education research.
- To reconceptualise pain in terms of modern neuroscience and philosophy.
- To stimulate an urgent reappraisal of current thinking in rehabilitation, with benefits for all stakeholders in clinical outcomes - the patient, the therapist, the referrer and the payer.
- To teach the core pain management skills of neuroscience education.
- Conceptual change and the biopsychosocial approach
- How does the nervous system work?
- Narratives from Neuroscience 1 - "Tissue issues, nociception and pain"
- Narratives from Neuroscience 2 - “I have got a pinched nerve”
- Narratives from Neuroscience 3 - “It’s all in your head”
- Narratives from Neuroscience 4 - “Peturbations in homeostasis”
- Therapeutic neuroscience education
- Biologically based graded exposure (pacing)
- Virtual body exercises
Payment options are mentioned in the Course Registration Form.
Fill the online form to register. Click here.
Kindly note registration will be confirmed only on receipt of payment.
- It is recommended you wear comfortable and appropriate clothing for practice sessions throughout the course.
- Video recording/shooting during the workshop is not allowed. If the above is not adhered to the person may be asked to leave the premises.
- The fee is not refundable. If you would like to swap your dates with another course, kindly arrange for a replacement.